The instant that I saw a photo of Lake Bled, I was in love. A small monastery on an island in the middle of a bright blue lake, surrounded by tall trees and imposing mountains… I couldn’t wait to experience the magic. Now that I have, I’m here to share the love so you can experience it too! Enjoy my 2-day Lake Bled Itinerary!
Lake Bled was a part of our road trip from Venice to the Dolomites, to Lake Bled, and then back to Venice. This was such a fun way to do it! If eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner in 3 countries (Italy, Austria, Slovenia) on the same day is on your bucket list, then here’s your golden ticket. Slovenia is also an insanely beautiful country, and in this Lake Bled itinerary, we barely scratch the surface.
Pro tip: If you go by car and drive from a different country, keep in mind that you need a vignette to drive on the highway in Slovenia. These can be purchased at a petrol station near the border.
If you fly to Ljubljana Airport (LJU), which is the main airport in Slovenia, you can take the bus to Lake Bled. Travel time is about 1:45 minutes, and you will have to transfer buses at the Kranj AP station. Here you can find the “Alpe Adria Line” schedule to get from the airport to Lake Bled.
Where to Stay
We stayed at an old yet wildly precious B&B with an incredible view of the lake from our balcony. Because the B&B was so old, the bed style was also stuck in time… My husband was far too tall for it and had to sleep on the floor. If you are a normal size human, however, I can highly recommend it. The hosts have owned the B&B for generations and tried to give us another room for free so my husband could “try to fit on the bed diagonally”. The locals were very lovely people. You can book your stay in this cozy house here.
What to Do
- Hike to the Instagram popular viewpoint, Mala Osojnica. The hike is pretty steep, but not very far and 1000% worth it. You can access a map here.
- Sit down for a delicious brunch at Art Café Bar.
- Row a canoe to Bled Island (get caught in the rain) – you can rent the canoe at the Mlino Port.
- Enjoy ice cream and espresso from the south staircase of the island. The steps are nearly 4 centuries old and remain the traditional spot for grooms to carry their new brides up all 99 steps.
- Have dinner at Ostarija Peglez’n. Be forewarned, you will be tempted to order everything, but know that a single portion is fit for a family. Be sure to make a reservation.
- Take a morning dip in the lake. I did not…I slept in. But I’m sure it’s refreshing, it can be the best moment of visiting Lake Bled.
- Enjoy coffee and croissants by the water.
- Hike to Bled Castle for another incredible view of the lake.
- If you have time, check out Straza Bled and take a toboggan down the ski slope.
- Grab wine from the Supermarket for a little balcony happy hour, play games, and enjoy the view.
- Dinner again at Ostarija Peglez’n. As I said, you will want to order everything, but you will explode. So, back at it! No shame.
Pizzeria Rustika: The hotspot in town if you are looking for Italian delight.
Restavracija Julijana: 4 course with a view.
Spica Bar and Restaurant: Quality food and excellent drinks.
Café Belvedere: Coffee and cakes with a view (try the Kremna Rezina, Bled’s specialty dessert).
Hope you enjoyed my 2-day Lake Bled itinerary! If you ever plan a trip in Slovenia, make sure to visit Lake Bled, the turquoise paradise of nature and antiquity.